CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE DRAG DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM ADDS CAMARO ZL1
TARGETED ENHANCEMENTS ENABLE 10-SECOND QUARTER-MILE ELAPSED TIMES
The Chevrolet Performance Camaro Drag Race Development Program takes another step forward with the addition of the Camaro ZL1, which has run a best 10.000-second quarter-mile ET at 137.78 mph during official testing, along with a 1.415-second 60-foot time.
Launched in the spring of 2016 with Camaro SS and announced at last year’s SEMA Show, the Drag Development program explores the capability of the sixth-generation Camaro on the drag strip through targeted performance, chassis and safety enhancements, including concept high-performance parts designed to improve launch and traction attributes. Building on lessons learned from the Camaro SS drag development program, the team is evaluating several “bolt-on” features and calibrations for the Camaro ZL1, with plans to continue testing in 2018 and evaluate a portfolio of products to be released through Chevrolet Performance.
For the Camaro ZL1 development vehicle, achieving the 10-second quarter-mile ET was driven by power-enhancing components that helped push its supercharged LT4 engine past the 700-horsepower threshold, while drag-focused calibrations for the electronic limited-slip differential and magnetic ride control systems helped the car launch more effectively. A rear small brake package and solid rear cradle mounts are among the additional components used in testing that are now available for sale.
CAMARO ZL1 PRODUCTION-BASED FEATURES
- LT4 supercharged 6.2L V-8 engine
- Available 10-speed automatic transmission
- Dual-mode exhaust system
- Electronic limited-slip rear differential (eLSD)
- 2.85 final drive ratio
- Performance Traction Management
- Drive Mode Selector
- Available Performance Data Recorder
DRAG DEVELOPMENT CONCEPT FEATURES
- Cold air intake system
- Larger throttle body
- Smaller-diameter supercharger pulley
- 110-octane calibration
- Magnetic ride control calibration
- Transmission calibration
- eLSD calibration
- Racing tires
- Racing driver’s seat with five-point harness
- Roll cage
CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE DRAG DEVELOPMENT COMPONENTS
- Solid cradle bushings (ZL1 1LE-spec), part number 84341929
- Rear small brake system, part number 84396515
CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE OFFICIALLY LICENSED PARTS
- American Racing Headers long-tube headers, part number CAV8-16178300LSNC
- WELD Racing 16 x 10-inch rear wheels, part number 88B-61058-GM
A complete list of Camaro SS Drag Development now available from Chevrolet Performance is available at ChevySEMA.com.