Fifth-gen Camaro Approaches 500,000 U.S. Sales
Production milestone caps five years as America’s best-selling performance car
DETROIT – Talk about a big family: Chevrolet expects to deliver the 500,000th fifth-generation Camaro in the United States this month.
The fifth-generation Camaro has been a runaway success for Chevrolet since it went on sale in August 2009. Camaro sales passed Mustang in 2010, to become America’s best-selling performance car – a title Camaro has retained for five consecutive years. In the process, the Camaro has helped bring new buyers to Chevrolet – with 63 percent of retail buyers new to GM.
“The fifth-generation Camaro has clearly resonated with both long-time Camaro fans, and first time performance-car buyers,” said Todd Christensen, Camaro marketing manager. “That sets the bar high for the next chapter of the car’s history.”
Remarkably, the Camaro continues to gain momentum, even as the fifth-generation Camaro nears the end of production this year. In 2014, Camaro total sales increased 7.1 percent for its second-best year of sales since its introduction. For the first two months of 2015, total sales are up 3.6 percent over 2014:
|August through December 2009
|2010 calendar year
|2011 calendar year
|2012 calendar year
|2013 calendar year
|2014 calendar year
|January through February 2015
In its final year for the fifth generation, the 2015 Camaro lineup offers a broad range of models that balance style, performance and efficiency:
- The 323-horsepower V-6-powered LS coupe and LT coupe and convertible – including the 2LS with an EPA-rated 30 mpg on the highway
- The Camaro SS coupe and convertible, with a 6.2L V-8 delivering up to 426 horsepower
- The road-racing-inspired Camaro 1LE performance package with unique gearing, suspension tuning and tires that make the model capable of more than 1 g of lateral acceleration
- The 580-horsepower supercharged Camaro ZL1 coupe and convertible – the most powerful Camaro in history
- The track-capable Camaro Z/28 (coupe only), which was named Motor Trend’s 2014 Best Driver’s Car – the first American-brand car to receive the award.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world’s largest car brands, doing business in more than 115 countries and selling around 4.8 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature engaging performance, design that makes the heart beat, passive and active safety features and easy-to-use technology, all at a value. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.